Wednesday 21 November 2012

I'm walking away.

'Why the hell would you want to do that'. That would be the response from the majority of my friends if I told them about my 800 mile aspiration.
I cannot quite say what is luring me to undertake this trek.  I have no idea what kind of person I am to be honest and don't understand most of my motivations. Maybe reading this you will know more about me than I do myself. The fact that the title of this post is a lyric by Craig David I suppose says enough.

I will try to guess at a few of my motivations. I think they are mainly based around, as stated in the title of this blog, the fact that I have absolutely no idea where I am going in life and also because I love the Welsh landscape, and I love the adventure that it can provide, feeling that I really have not made the most of what is on my doorstep.
So, in true adventuring style, I am waiting for the right season to arrive, when it does (April, May?), when I am feeling particularly fed up, bored,useless, possibly drunk, I will walk out of the front door of my house in Llancarfan, south Wales, walk the 20 minutes to the coast, turn left and keep walking for two months in a loop around Wales, until I arrive back where I started.
While I am typing I find myself eagerly looking to my right out of my bedroom window in the direction I will be heading. I want to go now, curses to our British seasons!

I suppose I should introduce myself.



I am William. I am 22 years old. I hail from a tiny village outside Cardiff. I have moved once- next door. That is not to say I haven't left home at all, I did, I just eventually found my way back.
I went away to England, studied a History degree and a Master's in International Relations (both entirely interesting, both entirely useless) returned home for the summer and this is where I remain. To say I am unsure about my career direction would be a somewhat understatement. With my employment experience it is no surprise.

1. Strawberry farmer
2. Dish pig/potwasher
3. Farmer
4. A week in the Welsh Government Office
So there was some development I suppose. But then...
5. Strawberry farmer (again)

Now, after signing up for the dole, applying to various obscure jobs (these include kayak salesman, toystore overnight warehouseman, Brecon Beacons park ranger) I now find myself working full time behind a bar for minimum wage. This would be the perfect time to say 'thanks Gordon Brown', but it isn't the politicians' fault. I have chosen this, I am avoiding going into my lifetime career because I don't yet know what it is. So why rush into things? I don't want to end up doing something I hate. So I will fulfill my expectations as a man and leave all that til later. In the meantime i'm going to just walk around Wales.


Ah dear, the words of a man running away. The worst thing is, i've done this all before, as my girlfriend told me, 'you are the Forest Gump of walking'. So my next few blogs will explain these little trips of enlightenment. I'll show you how I got into all this walking malarky, detailing two key moments- walking Offa's Dyke path and the Camino de Santiago.







No comments:

Post a Comment